School counselors will help students with course selection and guide them in the best ways to pursue their career interests. They also will assist in counseling for college, helping students through the whole process of admissions, financial aid and scholarships, as well as job search information.
Currently, Mechanicville High School reports an unweighted Grade Point Average (GPA) and a weighted class rank. The GPA is calculated using all courses with the exception of physical education. Courses are all worth the same value (1) when computing the GPA. Weighted rank is computed using a four tier system in which courses with the Honors, AP and College Curriculum designation are weighted at different levels. Courses without these designations are calculated with a weight of one.
- Honors level courses are weighted at 1.02 and include:
- English 9H
- Global Studies 9H
- Living Environment H
- English 10H
- Global Studies 10H
- Earth Science H
- English 11H
- College Curriculum courses are weighted at 1.035 and include:
- Business Communications
- Spanish 4
- Spanish 5
- Financial Accounting
- French 4
- AP level courses are weighted at 1.05 and include:
- AP English
- AP US History
- AP Biology
Using this method, a student earning an 85 in precalculus would receive that grade on their report card and an 85 would be used to calculate their unweighted grade point average (GPA). However, for the purposes of computing class rank, the grade included for precalculus would be 87.97 (85 x 1.035).
- SAT registration is $46 without the essay. If you would like to take the essay, the SAT registration fee is $60.
- Some colleges may require you to take the essay, so do your research before you decide to skip it.
- Subject tests have an additional fee.
- Register at www.collegeboard.org
- The ACT registration fee without the Writing section is $49.50, and the fee with the Writing section is $58.50.
- Register at www.actstudent.org
Fee waivers are available from your school counselor for eligible students for both tests.
The school code is 333090. You will need this to register for the exam. For more information, please contact your school counselor.