Central Registrar checklist

Proof of residency is required before a student will be registered. (Post Office box is not acceptable.)

Jump to: Proof of residency | Determination of student age | Health records | Divorce/custodial documentation | Special Education services

Parent/guardian form of identification

  • Driver’s license
  • State- or government-issued ID
  • Passport

Proof of residency

Applicants must provide: two documents from List A; or one document from List A and one document from List B below; or two documents from List B and a notarized statement by a third-party establishing physical presence of parent/guardian in the school district (i.e. landlord, owner or tenant leased from or live with.) Documents must be from the past 30 days.

List A

  • Lease agreement
  • Mortgage statement
  • Signed rent receipt
  • Utility bill (NYSERDA)
  • Landline phone bill

List B

  • Recent paystub
  • Driver’s license
  • State- or government-issued ID
  • Passport
  • Current Income Tax Form
  • Voter registration documents
  • Documents issued by federal/state/local agencies
  • Car/home/renter insurance documents
  • Bank/loan statements

Back to top

Determination of student age

  • Original birth certificate
  • Baptismal record
  • Passport
  • Driver’s license (student)
  • State- or government-issued ID
  • Consulate identification card
  • Hospital or health records
  • Military dependent identification card
  • Court orders or other court-issued documents with date of birth
  • Native American tribal documents
  • Records from non-profit international aid agencies and voluntary agencies

Back to top

Health records

To be completed by parent guardian:

  • Medical History Form
  • Health Information Release Form

To be completed by health care professional:

  • Health certificate/appraisal form
  • Authorization to administer medication (if applicable)
  • Dental Health Certificate
  • Immunization records: Proof of up-to-date immunizations per NYSED requirements. Temporary enrollment will be considered as needed; parents will be given 14 days upon date of registration to supply school with documents, pending administrative approval.

School records:

  • Authorization to request release of records
  • Report card/transcript
  • Current schedule (middle school/high school)
  • Lab grades for science courses (high school)

Other required paperwork: 

  • Free and Reduced Lunch Application
  • Student Registration Form
  • Teacher Data Sheet
  • Residency Questionnaire
  • Home Language Questionnaire

Back to top

Divorce and/or custodial/guardianship/foster child documentation

Individual’s attempting to enroll a student must be listed on the child’s birth certificate as the natural parent or must provide court documentation proving legal custody. When parents reside in different school districts the child must attend the school in the district of the parent with whom the child lives for a majority of the time, unless court order specifies otherwise. If parents split time equally, parents are given school of choice.

Custodial paperwork is not required only when both natural parents reside in the same household and are both listed on registration paperwork OR if a natural parent is not listed on the child’s original birth certificate.

  • Copy of the most recent divorce decree and/or custodial/visitation paperwork issued by the court
  • Copy of official Guardianship Paperwork or Foster Placement
  • No Official Custody Agreement (both natural parents are not involved) – Affidavit of custodial parent voluntarily relinquishing the role of non-custodial parent, other parent receives copies of school correspondence but has no input on day-to-day.

Back to top

Special Education services

  • Most recent IEP (Individualized Education Program) developed by previous school.
  • Most recent 504 Education Plan developed by previous school.

Back to top