Code of Ethics and Sportsmanship
It is the duty of all concerned with school athletics:
- To emphasize the proper ideals of sportsmanship, ethical conduct and fair play.
- To eliminate all possibilities which tend to destroy the best values of the game.
- To stress the values derived from playing the game fairly
- To show cordial courtesy to visiting teams and officials
- To achieve a thorough understanding and acceptance of the rules of the game and the standards of eligibility.
- To encourage leadership, use of initiative, and good judgment by the players on the team.
- To recognize that the purpose of athletics is to promote the physical, mental, moral, social and emotional well-being of the individual players.
- To remember that an athletic contest is only a game—not a matter of life and death for player, coach, school, official, fan or community.
Good sportsmanship is important. Our behavior at school athletic events, whether we play or watch, reflects on the character and reputation of our school and through that, on us individually.
It is the belief of the Mechanicville City School District that the good sportsmanship on the part of the spectators at school athletic contests is as important as good sportsmanship on the part of the athletes.
In keeping with these beliefs, it is required that all spectators conduct themselves in a manner reflecting a spirit of friendly competition and a respect for the positive relations existing among all schools.
Be a credit to yourself and your school. All school rules are in effect at extra-curricular activities.